Wednesday 16 November 2016

(Very) Oldhammer

Well it has been a while since I last put finger to keyboard here and to be frank, I have done very little painting or gaming in that time. However, a search in the loft for a renegade squirrel led me to my old box set of Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd Ed. and the army lists Ravening Hordes. This was the first wargame I played more than a couple of times, in fact I was obsessed with it as a spotty fourteen year old and had hordes of orcs, elves and chaos warriors back when GW stuff was sold at pocket money prices.

I had been toying with a return to Warhammer when I discovered the whole subculture of Oldhammer, a group dedicated to keeping the best editions of Warhammer and 40K alive despite GWs best efforts. Oldhammer as a whole seems to be fairly heavily biased towards 3rd edition which I never bought into, although there are quite a few people into 2nd edition as well these days (seems to be no love for 1st ed. though). So I bit the bullet and bought a few orcs from Black Tree Designs, lovely 80s/90s style sculpts with a character that modern GW just doesn't have.

So here is my test paint, based in true 80s style green drybrushed sand.



So much fun to paint and a real nostalgia kick, I put some thrash metal on and nearly grew a mullet there and then.



So that is my project for now, to paint the remaining eleven orcs that I currently have and then maybe buying some goblins or a chariot or something.

Of course, they will be perfect for Dragon Rampant while I am building up 1000+ points for Warhammer!

No comments:

Post a Comment