Friday 27 February 2015

Spencer Smith Miniatures - test paint

The last blog entry was entirely sans pictures so here is just a peek at what I am thinking of doing. The miniatures I found are by Spencer Smith Miniatures and are a bit of an acquired taste. When I first got hold of these a couple of years ago I was horrified by their crude casting and no amount of three layer shading would make them look like Front Rank or Minden. They mouldered in their box for a while as I gathered intelligence on them from SSM fans (of which there are quite a few by all accounts), I was painting them all wrong! Once I realised that a "toy-soldier" approach was needed I fell in love with these strange lumps again with their block colours, minimal lining and rosy cheeks. To be really old school I should have stuck to Humbrol enamels but I have enough problems coughing without thinner fumes at the moment.

So here is my test paint for my as yet unnamed C18th ImagiNation, a Spencer Smith AS4 Grenadier in mitre cap marching (from C18th, War of the Austrian Succession range).

AS4 Grenadier raw and painted - front









Rear view of same


1 comment:

  1. I too have been struggling to figure out to paint these guys. But this example looks amazing! I can only hope I can get close to this quality. What a great color scheme you chose.

    ReplyDelete