Thursday 4 December 2014

Quick Tip - Shiny Varnish

When it comes to finding a good matt finish I think I have tried just about everything going. I settled on Windsor & Newton Galeria because it was easy to find locally, dried quickly and no noxious fumes. However, it can be a little variable in damp weather and just recently my figures had been as glossy as an oiled otter. Thinking about this I remembered how we used to make "dry" paints for dry-brushing back when it was all the rage. This involved adding a small amount of talcum powder to the paint and then slightly thinning with water - the result being a dense paint that grabbed well and dried extremely matt. I tried this with my ailing matt varnish and hey presto, I have non-shiny soldiers again.


Before and after shots of a previously shiny billman!

To be honest, I didn't have any talc in the house but I did have some athletes foot powder which had talc and corn starch as a base. I only hope it doesn't turn my retinue into a band of fungicidal maniacs...

...I'll get me coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment